BEING A TEACHER....

BEING A TEACHER IS A DIFFICULT TASK NOWADAYS, SO I DECIDED TO FOLLOW THIS PIECE OF ADVICE BY BRUCE LEE:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

by Bruce Lee

miércoles, 31 de enero de 2018

Albert, your sledge hammer ;-))))



Your English teacher may seem to you as your sledge hammer because he is always telling you what to do, but the thing is that he does not treat teaching as an ordinary job. As well, remember...

Don’t treat love or leisure like a job (The Guardian)  Selectivity exam to do  

 

 

In this world of machines you can be easily misled.

Here's a listening exercise to do: Rise of the machines (6 Minute English, BBC Learning English)

 

And now let's listen to this song: Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel

 

Have a look at this version with lyrics. What does 'sledge hammer' mean? However, Sledge hammer! was also a sitcom in the 80's

 

 

Learn English with Papa  >>>  "Be up to" vs "Be up for"  

 

Some extra exercises for my students in 2º Bachillerato  >>>

UNIT  4     Work

page 47  Vocabulary. Fill in the gaps with suitable words.

1 Do you want to work … ?
2 No work … is required.
3 Working … may vary.
4 … need to be flexible.

Define the word 'high-flyer'.

page 49  Vocabulary. Fill in the gaps with suitable verbs.

1 She will not _____________ the lift.
2 I didn’t think I could ___________ a living doing what I loved.
3 I need to ___________ a little danger in my life.
4 It ____________ me three years to qualify.

MISS or LOSE? Lucy explains to us the difference  >>>>


Activities for my 2º ESO students:  Give me your opinion about the sitcom episode Sledge Hammer! , try to translate the song and do these exercises. Also write a sentence with 'lose' and another one with 'miss' after watching Lucy's video.

Make questions with WHOSE and answer with the POSSESSIVES ADJECTIVES AND POSSESSIVE PRONOUNS :

1. ______ book _________________ ? (you) It's __________ book. _____________________
2. ______ pencils ______________ ? (he) ______________________ .  ____________________
3. ______ omelette _____________ ? (we) ______________________ .  ______________________
4. ______ spoons _______________ ? (I) _______________________ .  _____________________
5) ______ cars _________________ ? (they) ____________________ .  ____________________

Fill in the gaps with the right prepositions :

1. I'm thinking ______ you.      2. Joe is ______ Tom and Jim.     
3. He is listening ______ the radio ______ the beach.
4. Come ______ my house! Come ______ !    5. This postcard is ______ Arthur.    
6. Arthur is sitting ______ an armchair ______ Mrs Harrison's  kitchen.


3 comentarios:

  1. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. In my opinion this series is very funny, although the dialogues are difficult, they speak very fast.
      The girls who are playing with the ball in the episode are very intelligent, because they send the soldiers to sleep to mug them.
      Hammer opens the office door with the gun, he's crazy.

      Lose and miss.
      I always lose the keys to my house.
      I miss my mother every day because she works outside Salobreña.

      Make questions with whose and answer with the possessives adjectives and possessive pronouns:

      1. Whose book is this? It's your book. It's yours.
      2. Whose pencils are these? They are his pencils. They are his.
      3. Whose omelette is this? It is our omelette. It's ours.
      4. Whose spoons are these? They are my spoons. They are mine.
      5. Whose cars are these? They are their cars. They are theirs.

      Fill in the gaps with the right prepositions:

      1. I'm thinking about you.
      2. Joe is with Tom and Jim.
      3. He is listening to the radio on the beach.
      4. Come into my house! Come in!
      5. This postcard is from Arthur.
      6. Arthur is sitting in an armchair in Mrs. Harrison’s kitchen.

      Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel

      Hey, hey, you. Tell me, how have you been?
      Hey, hey, tú. Dime, ¿cómo te ha ido?
      You could have a steam train,
      If you just lay down your tracks,
      You could have an aeroplane flying.
      If you bring your blue sky back,
      All you do is call me,
      I'll be anything you need.

      Podrías tener un tren de vapor,
      si te comunicases,
      podrías tener un avión volando.
      Si haces que tu cielo azul vuelva,
      todo lo que tienes que hacer es llamarme,
      y yo seré cualquier cosa que necesites.

      You could have a big dipper, going up and down, all around the bends.
      You could have a bumper car, bumping, this amusement never ends.

      Podrías tener una montaña rusa, subiendo y bajando, por todas las curvas.
      Podrías tener un auto de choque, chocando, esta diversión nunca termina.

      I want to be your sledgehammer, why don't you call my name?
      Oh, let me be your sledgehammer, this will be my testimony.

      Quiero ser tu mazo, ¿Por qué no dices mi nombre?
      Oh, déjame ser tu mazo, este será mi testimonio.

      Show me around your fruit cage, because I will be your honey bee.
      Open up your fruit cage, where the fruit is as sweet as can be.

      Enséñame tu caja de fruta, porque yo seré tu abejita.
      Abre tu caja de fruta, donde la fruta es tan dulce como puede ser.

      I want to be your sledgehammer, why don't you call my name?
      You'd better call the sledgehammer, put your mind at rest,
      I'm going to be... the sledgehammer.
      This can be my testimony.
      I'm your sledgehammer, let there be no doubt about it

      Quiero ser tu martillo, ¿por qué no dices mi nombre?
      Es mejor que llames al mazo, descansa,
      Voy a ser... el mazo.
      Este puede ser mi testimonio.
      Soy tu mazo, que no haya duda de ello.

      Sledge sledge sledgehammer
      I get it right, I kicked the habit, Shed my skin, this is the new stuff.
      I go dancing in -We can go dancing in- Oh, won't you show for me?

      Mazo, mazo, mazo.
      Lo hago bien, dejé el hábito, mudé mi piel, esto es nuevo.
      Voy bailando -podemos ir bailando- Oh, ¿no me lo vas a mostrar?

      And I will show for you. Show for me, I will show for you
      Yeah, I do mean you. Only you.

      Y yo te lo enseñaré. Enséñamelo, yo te lo enseñaré.
      Sí, yo me refiero a ti. Solo a ti.

      You been coming through, going to build that power.
      Build, build up that power.
      I've been feeding the rhythm. I've been feeding the rhythm.

      Tú has estado insistiendo, vamos a crear ese poder.
      Crear, crear ese poder.
      He estado alimentando el ritmo. He estado alimentando el ritmo.

      Going to feel that power, build in you
      Come on, come on, help me do.
      Yeah, you.
      I've been feeding the rhythm. I've been feeding the rhythm.
      It's what we're doing, doing, all day and night.

      Vamos a sentir ese poder, construido dentro de ti.
      Venga, venga, ayúdame.
      Sí, tú.
      He estado alimentando el ritmo. He estado alimentando el ritmo.
      Es lo que estamos haciendo, haciendo, todo el día y toda la noche.

      Susana P. Bosch 2ºESO Grupo A

      Eliminar