BEING A TEACHER....

BEING A TEACHER IS A DIFFICULT TASK NOWADAYS, SO I DECIDED TO FOLLOW THIS PIECE OF ADVICE BY BRUCE LEE:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

by Bruce Lee

domingo, 29 de octubre de 2017

All your work cut out for you


As usual, I've got all your work cut out for you (check the meaning and origin of this phrase at BBC Learning English) these two days, so be ready.

 

Jo Rowsell: ‘I’ve got my work cut out to keep my place in the team’ (The Guardian)

 

Do you know what a 'tailor' is? But what is the meaning of 'tailor' as a verb 'to tailor', as in this example: "The school tailors the course to each student's needs." ?




Interesting video to watch. Pay attention to the pronunciation of certain words:





On the way to SELECTIVITY   >>> GRAMMAR & USE OF ENGLISH.


55. Define the following words:     to break down  /  spoon  /  holiday  / marchers





56. Put in the correct verb form :

1. We __________ anything until we hear from you.(NOT DO)
2. I'll tell you as soon as I __________ (KNOW)
3. If I __________ George,I'll tell him to come and see you.(SEE)
4. I __________ happy when this job is finished. (BE)
5. What __________ if the police find out? (HAPPEN)
6. It'll be nice when we __________ back home again. (GET)
7. I __________ your luggage until you come back. (LOOK AFTER)
8. As soon as you know when you want to leave,phone us and we __________ a flight for you.(RESERVE)
9. I'm going to take a short holiday when I __________ this job.         (FINISH)
10. Don't forget to put the lights out when you __________ to bed. (GO)

57. Put the following sentences into INDIRECT SPEECH :

1. Elizabeth to Carol:"Don't come next week,please!"
2. "Do you like English cheese?",she asked us.
3. Peter said,"I don't know what to do tonight".
        Jane said,"what about having dinner at a Chinese restaurant".
4. The teacher asked me: "When did you last see your parents?".
5. "I ate something yesterday that didn't agree with me",you said.

58. Translate the following sentences into English:

1. El viejo que vive en frente de la gasolinera acaba de jubilarse.
2. Es tan guapa que puede casarse con quien quiera.
3. Dicen que está trabajando en Alemania,  pero también se cree que está viviendo en España.
4. ¿Tomaste alguna vez parte en una manifestación cuando eras un adolescente? Sí, pero no he hecho eso desde que tenía 19 años.
5. ¿Cuánto tiempo llevas esperándome? Llevo esperándote una hora.
6. Telefonea a tu novia y pídele que se case contigo hoy.
7. Tengo el pelo demasiado largo, tendré que ir a pelarme.
8. Ella acaba de ver a la chica con la que yo solía salir.
9. Yo que tú le compraría un libro nuevo.
10. Se bebieron 50 litros de cerveza en mi cumpleaños.



SELECTIVITY. Solutions to the exercises in the previous post:

52.  1. Julius Caesar, who was a Roman general, came...    2. a prayer, which nobody understood and which he must composed himself.    3. the book I left on the table where there's a nice vase / which there's a very nice on ?   4. several houses, most of which were quite unsuitable.    5. his car, which broke down, for the first time.

53. 1. if she had been to the party.   2. why did you get lost if..    3. you study more    4. if you want to have a great time
5.  , I would ask her to dance.

54. 1. That car is no longer made in Britain.    2. Dinner is being cooked by my mother.    3. That can't be done.     
4. People believed that his cabinet did not totally accept the Prime Minister's policy.    
5. People say that Albert is going to buy a new car.    6. Nobody should kill anybody for any cause.


However, as I know that "All work and no play makes Jack/Jill a dull boy/girl", here's an old British sitcom to watch. Have some fun with the playlist. I hope you will enjoy it. By the way, do you know what a 'robin' is?



2 comentarios:

  1. I like the meaning of that phrase is simple but it has an interesting meaning.
    About the video, I pay attention and I have corrected those failures because 4/10 I committed them, but thanks to this video I have been able to correct them and now my pronunciation is safer.
    Those exercises on the way to selectivity have served me in something to be able to review and I hope it continues to put more.
    And finally. This type of series among others I do not like much, so I have not got see the whole video.
    Cristian Ramón Noguera 2ºA ESO

    ResponderEliminar
  2. The video of the 10 words you're probably mispronouncing is very interesting because i don't save any words pronunciation in english because sometimes we pronunce consonants or letters that are silences as (walk, comfortable,vegetable...) or letters that they change sound like other for example( the ch sometimes sound as q). I think the video is very interesting

    By Jose Corzo Garzón 2*A

    ResponderEliminar